SEO world is very dynamic and changing very frequently. To sustain your ranking in Search engine result page you have adapt new techniques.
Links are one the key assets in on page SEO. If you are an Internet marketer, you must know the necessity of “anchor text” in search engine optimization.
However it is a commonly used phrase, many marketers are yet to discover what it really means after Google’s Penguin and Hummingbird updates. Anchor texts are a vital part of SEO and strongly impact your search engine ranking.
In this article you will learn:
- What is Anchor Text?
- How it is important in SEO?
- Types of Anchor text that you use in 2017 for better SEO.
In this post I am trying to elaborate you some best practices of using Anchor text, which will help you to optimize your site for better search engine rankings. So, let’s get started:
What is Anchor text?
Anchor text is a clickable text which sends you to another web source or website. The text where you see the links are considered as anchor text. The anchor text is also known as the link label or link title. The words contained in the anchor text help determine the ranking that the page will receive by search engines.Anchor text is the clickable text in a hyperlink and one of best #SEO practices.Click To Tweet
Here is the example of Anchor Text:
Here Wikipedia is considering as an Anchor text. You can create anchor text by using the above HTML code. So, it is quite easy.
How it is important in SEO?
Since backlinks are an important SEO ranking factor, anchor text is going to play a significant role. It’s added for the benefit of search engines, so that they can determine what the “linked-to page” is about.
Before the 2012 Penguin update, Google used anchor texts to understand whether or not a particular website was relevant. After Penguin update, anchor texts serve as a great way for the search engine to penalize websites for spam and over-optimization.
Before Google’s Penguin update anybody could go crazy with their anchor texts. You could build hundreds or thousands of links to your website with the exact keywords you wanted. So, It was very easy to rank your website.
Types of Anchor text that you use in 2017 for better SEO
As you know that Anchor text is play a major role in your site on page SEO. There are different kinds of anchor text you can use. You have to maintain a good balance with your anchor text.10 Type of Anchor TEXT you must be using in 2017 for Better SEO Score.Click To Tweet
When the search engines algorithm looks at your backlink profile, they want to see a natural mix of anchor text from backlinks. Whether you are running a link-building campaign or created it naturally, you must have to maintain a clean mix of backlinks with a well-balanced mix or anchor text.
Types of Anchor Text List
- Exact match anchors
- Naked link anchors
- Generic anchors
- Branded anchors
- Image anchors
- Keyword anchors
- Latent semantic indexing (LSI) anchors
- Long anchors
- Partial match anchors
- Co-occurrence anchors
Based on several researches, below are the types of anchor texts to use in 2017 and if you want to be on the safe side:
- Partially matching and long-tail keywords (you can even use long-long tail keywords, like articles or pages titles, e.g. “Best Current Fixed 10-Year Mortgage Rates + Refinance Rates” or “Quick Weight Loss Program – Healthy, Easy, Fast Weight Loss”; if your targeted keyword is “mortgage calculator”, you can also use: “calculate your mortgage”, “bad credit mortgage loans”, etc.)
- Anchors with synonyms. If you want to rank for “cheap hotels”, also use “cheap hotel deals”, “cheap hotel prices”, “discount hotels”, “hotel deals”, “lodging”, etc.
- All variations of naked URLs: www.example.com, example.com, Example.com, EXAMPLE.COM, http://www.example.com.
- Non-descriptive anchor texts. Since they are not widely used at the moment, check the list below to diversify your anchors:
- Website, visit website to learn more
- view publisher site
- click here to visit the website, here
- Watch the video
- Click here to download
- click here for details/for more info
- Click here to view the source of the post
- View source
- Learn more
- Read more
- find out more
- Detailed info here
- more details
- See survey results
- Go to [URL]/ brand website
- If your website is multi-language, use anchors in other languages (“Página de Internet:”, “Registo de Domínios”).
- Brand name or brand-keyword hybrids. (“Semrush keyword tool”, “Godaddy – hosting and domains”, “Domain registrar – Godaddy”, etc.).
- Image links with optimized alt text. Alt texts in image links are also a ranking factor, but alongside filling alt texts with “money keywords” only, use such alt texts as [banner], “example.com” or leave them empty.
To diversify your anchor profile further, you should be considering using image anchors. In an image, Google reads the “alt” tag as an anchor text. Leaving this blank will result in a “noText” anchor. Ex:
<a href=”http://example.com”><imgsrc=”http://example.com/sample-image.jpg” alt=”alt as anchor text” /> </a>
- LSI anchors– LSI stands for Latent Semantic Indexing. But it’s really not complicated, despite the name. LSI is just other ways of phrasing your keywords. So if you rearrange the words in your key word, or replace a word with a synonym, you’re using LSI.
LSI anchors are a really good way to prove the relevance of your links without getting penalized for using the same key phrases over and over again. A few examples of LSI Anchor Text: Target Keyword: Web Design
- Top Web Design Companies
- Web Design Examples
- Web Design Projects
- Web Design Patterns
What Percentage should you use?
There are so many misconception of using the density of anchor text in your website. You can use following percentage of anchor text in your website for better SEO:
- Branded Anchors: 60-80%
- Naked link anchors: 10-20%
- Generic anchors: 5-10%
- Image anchors 5-10%
- Latent semantic indexing (LSI) anchors 5-10%
- Exact match anchors: -5%
- Keyword anchors -5%
- Long anchors -5%
- Partial match anchors -5%
Some of the key tips to be considered when using Anchor text:
- Don’t link to toxic sites.
- Avoid Interlinking with rich keywords anchor.
- Write relevant and quality guest posts.
- Track your Anchor text using Semrush.
- Acquire links from high authority websites.
Since the search engine bots are getting smarter and smarter every day, it is becoming more and more rewarding to write good, interesting text that uses sentence structure variations that wouldn’t have had good SEO results in the past.
The main types of anchor texts that are safe and effective are naked link anchors and branded anchors. Focus on building your links organically using quality content and a diverse range of anchor texts with proper co-citation and co-occurrence. This will help you optimize your link profile and make it next to impossible for Google to penalize you.