Imagine what happen if you wake up in the morning and visit your site. Your site has been hacked and you lose the control of it. How freaking it will be… It will be a big nightmare for you. Few days ago one of my friend’s blog has been hacked by hackers and he loses control of it.
WordPress is no doubt having some great features and functionality to start a blog. But you cannot ignore the importance of security of your blog. Revolution of the Internet gives us the opportunity to start our online business from the comfort of our home. But as you know that coin have two face and it also applies to online world.
In this article, I am going to tell you 3 best security plugin for WordPress which help you to secure your WordPress blog. So, let’s get started:
This is one of the best plugin I have ever seen and I personally using it on my blog. The plugin comes with some overwhelming security features, which helps you to secure your WordPress blog from hackers and spammers.
All in one WP security is not only helping you to secure you blog but also help you to keep your site spam free. You can also block suspected IPs with a single click and seamlessly work with any WordPress plugin.
Here are some of the key features of using this plugin:
- Stop user enumeration. So users/bots cannot discover user info via author permalink.
- Protect against “Brute Force Login Attack” with the Login Lockdown feature. Users with a certain IP address or range will be locked out of the system for a predetermined amount of time based on the configuration settings and you can also choose to be notified via email whenever somebody gets locked out due to too many login attempts.
- Enable manual approval of WordPress user accounts. If your site allows people to create their own accounts via the WordPress registration form, then you can minimize SPAM or bogus registrations by manually approving each registration.
- Ability to add captcha to the WordPress’s user registration page to protect you from spam user registration.
- Ability to add Honeypot to the WordPress’s user registration form to reduce registration attempts by robots.
- Identify files or folders which have permission settings which are not secure and set the permissions to the recommend secure values with click of a button.
- Protect your PHP code by disabling file editing from the WordPress administration area.
- Easily view and monitor all host system logs from a single menu page and stay informed of any issues or problems occurring on your server so you can address them quickly.
- Prevent people from accessing the readme.html, license.txt and wp-config-sample.php files of your WordPress site.
- Monitor the most active IP addresses which persistently produce the most SPAM comments and instantly block them with the click of a button.
- Prevent comments from being submitted if it doesn’t originate from your domain (this should reduce some SPAM bot comment posting on your site).
- Add a captcha to your wordpress comment form to add security against comment spam.
- Automatically and permanently block IP addresses which have exceeded a certain number of comments labeled as SPAM.
It also helps you to keep your content safe from content scrapers. You can also block invalid user names like admin, sitename, etc which hackers use to sneak in your WordPress blog. It also helps you to block spam traffic to your blog.
All in one Security plugin seamlessly helps you to protect your site from brute force attack, SQL Injection, and also blocked unwanted queries on your WordPress blog.
With this plugin you can block unverified or faked Google bots to crawl your site. Make sure that you only use this option if you have good technical knowledge on how bot works. Sometimes it also blocks the MOZ crawlers to access your site and it will create issues to update your DA and PA.
- How to use PHP 7 with WordPress
- 3 Best Cache Plugin for WordPress
- StudioPress Best WordPress Theme Provider.
Wordfence is another great name in WordPress security. This is one of the best and popular security plugin for WordPress. Wordfence also comes with handful of security options. Some of the key features of this plugin are as follows:
- Firewall blocks complex and brute force attacks
- Security Scan alerts you quickly in the event of a security issue
- Threat Defense Feed keeps Wordfence up to date with the latest security data
- Robust login security features
- Configurable security alerts
- Gain insight into traffic and hack attempts
- Security incident recovery tools
- See live traffic of your site including bot visits as well.
The major drawback of this plugin is that most of the security features are available to the premium version. If you are on shared server enabling the live traffic mode and made huge load on your database and server which will create issues with your site performance.
So, if you are on shared hosting, it is better that you off the live traffic view option.
Wordfence Security is able to repair core files, themes and plugins on sites where security is already compromised. You can follow this guide on how to clean a hacked website using Wordfence. However, please note that site security cannot be assured unless you do a full reinstall if your site has been hacked. We recommend you only use Wordfence Security to get your site into a running state in order to recover the data you need to do a full reinstall. If you need help repairing a hacked site, we offer an affordable, high-quality site cleaning service that includes a Premium key for a year.
iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security) gives you over 30+ ways to secure and protect your WordPress site. iThemes Security works to lock down WordPress, fix common holes, stop automated attacks and strengthen user credentials. With advanced features for experienced users, This WordPress security plugin can help harden WordPress.
iThemes Security works to protect your site by blocking bad users and increasing the security of passwords and other vital information.
- Prevents brute force attacks by banning hosts and users with too many invalid login attempts
- Scans your site to instantly report where vulnerabilities exist and fixes them in seconds
- Bans troublesome user agents, bots and other hosts
- Strengthens server security
- Enforces strong passwords for all accounts of a configurable minimum role
- Forces SSL for admin pages (on supporting servers)
- Forces SSL for any page or post (on supporting servers)
- Turns off file editing from within WordPress admin area
- Detects and blocks numerous attacks to your filesystem and database
iThemes Security makes regular backups of your WordPress database, allowing you to get back online quickly in the event of an attack. Use iThemes Security to create and email database backups on a customizable schedule.
Over to you
Being a responsible blogger, you cannot underestimate the risk of your WordPress blog. These 3 plugin are one of the best security plugin available in the WordPress plugin directory which helps you to make your WordPress more harden for hackers.
I always advice my readers to use a security plugin as it is now become a mandatory part of your blog. If you have any questions or queries about these plugins, just drop a comment. I also want to know your experience about these plugins as well.