Every day when I open my PC and Logging to my WordPress Admin panel, I see a ton of spam comments. This is really very frustrating and annoying too.
I have tried so many plugins including Askimet but nothing happened so far. Spammers always make a way to sneak in to it and drop a comment. This is so awful. What is the meaning of a comment if its sole purpose is to gain backlinks and doesn’t pose any meaningful thoughts or constructive conversations?
I hope you are also agreeing with me in this point. Sometimes I see that people post a comment like “Nice article, Thanks for the post, bla, bla…” This is not a meaningful comment and I trashed these comments instantly.Comments help us to connect with bloggers and share our point of views about the topicClick To Tweet
I always believe that comments must be meaningful and have added some extra points to the post. Comments help us to connect with bloggers and share our point of views about the topic. A well elaborated comment helps to create a constructive conversation.
Check out this great post by Ryan Biddulph on How to Write Blog Comments that Actually Drive Traffic and Increase Profits
Finally I have decided to change my comment system. So I choose Disqus as my comment system.
By installing Disqus on my blog, I haven’t received any spam comments. All the junk and spam comments are automatically get filtered by the Disqus. So, there is no need to moderate them.
Here are the reasons why I have chosen Disqus?
Easy to install and manage.
Once you install the plugin connect your WordPress site with Disqus and start manage your settings directly from your WordPress admin panel. You can also import your existing comments to the Disqus platform with just a single click.
Get rid of spam comments
Disqus is a powerful and robust commenting system. It is very effectively and efficiently fights with spam comments. Since Disqus required an account or use your Social media profiles to post a comment, so, this makes only genuine comments to appear on your post. This is one of the major reasons that I have chosen Disqus.
Intuitive and responsive comment system
Disqus is very intuitive commenting system and works great on mobile devices. You don’t need any extra plugin to make it responsive.
Sync your comments
Disqus Syncs comments automatically to WordPress for backup and flexibility if you ever decide to switch to a different platform.
Help you to monetize your blog
Disqus have its in-house publisher program which helps you to monetize your site with responsive and relevant ads and make money out of it.
In depth Analytics
Disqus provides you in-depth analytics of your blog. It measuring overall engagement on your site which helps you to get detailed insights on how users interact with your blog.
Apart from these features Disqus also comes with some use engagement features like:
- Real-time comments system with fun discussion interactions: voting, photo and video upload, rich media embed (Youtube, Twitter, Vimeo, and more), spoiler tags, mentions
- Comment text formatting (e.g. bold, link, italics, quote) using HTML tags as well as code syntax highlighting
- Threaded comment display (nested 3 levels) with ability to collapse individual threads
- Sort discussion by oldest, newest, and best comments
- Flexible login options – Social login with Facebook, Twitter, and Google, SSO, and guest commenting support
- Instant activity notifications, email notifications, and digests pull readers back in
- User profiles that show you recent comment history and frequented communities
- Discovery widget that shows active discussions happening elsewhere on your site
- Automatic anti-spam filter powered by Akismet
- Automated pre-moderation controls to flag comments based on links, user reputation
- Moderate directly in the discussion, via email, or moderation panel
- Email notifications for newly posted comments, replies
- Moderation Panel that lets you search, filter, sort, and manage your comments
- Self-moderation tools like user blocking, comment flagging
I know that some of you are not using Disqus as your commenting platform and I also do not force you to use it. However Disqus helps me to sort out my spam comments and help me to give a clean commenting system.
For me it’s a complete solution, and probably the best alternative solution, to the WordPress native comments. If you are using Disqus right now, let me know about your experiences with them.
Quick Update:- I have remove the Disqus comment system from my blog after using it for few months because It increase my site load times. If you are on shared server and your site is receive good amount of hits than avoid using Disqus until you are on VPS Server.